Behind every failed beer brewing effort is a failed thermometer. Digital thermometers have saved a lot of brews from spoiling. In your case, your thermometer is officially out of action. It doesn’t do what it once could do— accurately tell you the temperature. You need the best beer brewing thermometer to rescue your beer.
In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices
Why digital thermometers? Digital thermometers give you the freedom to move around and mingle with people. It automatically notifies you of when your brew has reached the right temperature. Outdated thermometers restricted you to remain in your kitchen, glued to your brew, ensuring it doesn’t go to waste.
The 5 Best Beer Brewing Thermometers
With a state-of-the-art digital thermometer, you’ll not lose any batch due to a sudden spike in temperature. We reviewed several beer brewing thermometers to give you the top five. In the end, you’ll find our buyer’s guide. You can use it to buy a digital thermometer that fulfills your beer brewing needs.
1. Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo
Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo features an extra-large 2-inch and 360-degree display that rotates automatically depending on how you hold it. Its advanced and out-of-the-box design sets it apart from others. This digital thermometer is a beer brewing thermometer that’s in a class of its own because it’s also the first one to feature an intelligent stabilization alert. It notifies you and tells you the reading once settled.
Ultra-sensitive sensors offer precise temperatures of around 0.9 degrees Fahrenheit. It offers a temperature range of -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 402 degrees Fahrenheit. The thermometer’s large 2-inch backlit display will not become foggy due to steam. Press the touchpad to set the temperature, and once your brew reaches your desired temperature, it’ll notify you with a beep.
- Anti-fog and a large 2-inch display with a backlit screen can rotate 360-degree for improved clarity
- Advanced stabilization control alerts you with a beeping sound when the temperature becomes stabilized
- Ultra-sensitive sensors for accurate temperature reading
- Made from 100% BPA free polycarbonate exterior with a stainless steel probe for increased durability and high-performance sensor
- No moisture proofing, causing it to turn off when contaminated with moisture
- Inconsistent battery
2. InkbirdWiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature
InkbirdWiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature comes with a 2-stage outlet thermostat. It features a heating and cooling mode. The digital temperature is easy to use. Just plug it in to start monitoring the temperature of your brew. The dual relay output allows you to connect the digital thermostat to the fridge and heating equipment at the same time. Set it to your desired temperature.
The alarm alerts you if the temperature is below or above the temperature you set. The digital thermometer has a probe with a built-in NTC sensor, temperature display functions, and temperature calibration. The thermometer features three alarms, a high-temperature alarm, a low-temperature alarm, and a sensor fault alarm.
- Automated temperature control systems
- Connects to both heating and cooling units
- High and low-temperature alarms and fault alarms alert you of fluctuating temperatures
- Calibrationdisplays temperatures and sets your desired temperatures
- Temperature probe may cause a difference in temperature
- Poor functioning probe
3. Habor 022 Digital Thermometer
Habor 022 Digital Thermometer is marketed as a meat temperature, but it’s more than that. You can use it for brewing as well. The digital thermometer works the same way as the others on the list. It will give you readings within 4 to 6 seconds. That’s lightning fast! You can use it for liquids, meat, wine, candy, chocolate, baked goods, jam, and more.
Its large and clear LCD allows you to see the temperature readings with clarity. You can select between two temperature modes, Fahrenheit and Celsius. When it’s not in use, it’ll automatically turn off after 10 minutes.
- Large LCD
- Turns of automatically to save battery
- Measures tenth degrees
- Gives temperature readings within 4 to 6 seconds
- Cannot mount it
- Runs on batteries
4. CDN DTW450L Waterproof Thermometer
CDN DTW450L Waterproof Thermometer measures temperature accurately. The manufacturer created a reduced tip and placed it on the 8-inch and heat-resistant stainless steel stem. The digital thermometer has an adjustable stainless steel clip. The waterproof thermometer can go into three feet of water for half an hour.
The NFS certified beer brewing thermometer assures customers that the device will prevent the growth of bacteria. You’ll receive accurate temperature readings due to its long stem, and within 6 seconds, it’ll tell you the reading. You can adjust the clip based on the type of food or liquid you want to place it in.
- Waterproof qualities allow you to submerge it into 3 feet of water for 30 minutes
- Long stainless steel stem with reduced tip and adjustable clip
- 6 second response time
- NFS certified for quick response time (6 seconds) and prevented bacterial growth
- Removing and resetting the batteries may cause the digital thermometer to malfunction
- Some users reported the digital thermometer failing to read temperatures
5. InkbirdProbe Controller Digital Temperature
InkbirdProbe Controller Digital Temperature only has a heating mode unlike its other, which had both a heating and cooling mode. Although the digital thermometer is more for creatures, you can also use it to monitor the temperature of your brew or any liquid for that matter. This digital thermometer is ideal for people who only require the heating mode for cooking, and not both.
The beer brewing thermometer is also more affordable than its counterpart. It features an automatic temperature control system. You can use it to perform various tasks such as use it for brewing, breeding, fungus fermenting, and more. Its dual-time cycle setting allows you to set two different temperatures, one for the night and one for the morning. Its dual LCD screen offers you the information in two temperature modes, Fahrenheit and Celsius.
- User-friendly features and interface
- Heating control prevents overheating
- Multi-purpose digital thermometer
- Dual time setting allows you to establish day and night temperatures
- Temperature may change
- Heat differential setting may malfunction causing the temperature to drop drastically
What to Look for When Choosing a Beer Brewing Thermometer?
1. Sends an Alert When Ready
You want your digital thermometer to notify you when your brew has reached the desired temperature. The sound it makes to alert you should also be audible.
2. Automatically Turns Off
Don’t buy a beer brewing thermometer if it doesn’t automatically turn off. Buy one that turns off on its own when it detects no activity after a specific number of minutes. It’ll save you battery, and your digital thermometer will run longer before it needs to be charged or requires battery replacement.
3. Instantly Reads Temperature
If it takes more than 6 seconds for the digital thermometer to read the temperature, at that time, your brew can spoil. You want to buy a thermometer that can read temperatures in 6 seconds or less.
4. Large and Easy to Read Display
You don’t want to squint your eyes to read the display. If you read incorrectly by mistake, there goes your brew. Ensure the LCD screen is large and if it lights up, it’s a plus.
Our Final Thoughts
Which one did you think is the best beer brewing thermometer? If you liked one or more digital thermometers from our list, you could buy one that suits your needs and budget. We recommend buying a high quality regardless of the price if you brew beer several times. You don’t want all the hard work to go to waste just because you bought an inexpensive digital thermometer for beer brewing.